Yep...I get to live here

Friday, October 23, 2009

A most memorable meal

One of the draws of Italy is the food. Really good food.

A friend recommended one which far exceeded our expectations:
Da I'Conte Diladdarno. It is owned by Luca, who after finding out that we had a mutual friend insisted that we not order and that he would cook for us. We were not disappointed.

We started with crostini con bruschertta and crostini con carabaccia.

Next up was zuppa di ci polls Medicea, a white bean soup, Medici style. Beans and I don't always get along, but Kevin said it was good!

It was followed by Pappa Pomodoro, a tomato stew that was out of this world.


After appetizers and soups, we could easily have walked out happy, but this wasn't to happen. Luca was having a wonderful time in the kitchen!

And we were glad. Luca emerged from the kitchen with a rice dish with provolone cheese and radicchio. My mouth waters even now as I remember it! We ate half of it before I remembered to document it for you....
Luca's assistant wrote down all the dish names for us, but I'm having difficulty translating, so I'll make a guess at the names.
By this time, we were really getting full, but it's difficult to relate this to a wonderful Italian chef. But we endured. ;)
I don't recall ever having wild boar before that day and it wasn't what I expected at all. It was tasty, but I wish I hadn't been so full already!

We're almost finished! Our last main dish was Turkey Medallions with lemon and mint. This is melt-in-your-mouth turkey and I highly recommend it! Again, we consumed half of it before I remembered to photograph it!

Luca was anxious to make another dish for us and his face fell when we told him we didn't want anything else. But it came back to life when we told him, "Va bene! Tutto bene!", which loosely translated means "I like it! All is good!"

But he was not to be stopped.

Out came biscotti and dessert wine, which turned out to be the perfect complement to a huge meal. And a meal is not complete in Italy if you haven't tried grappa, a brandy with assorted flavorings added to it: cinnamon, basil, peppers being among them. We each tried a couple.


I do not like alcohol. And I still don't. I got to practice my very useful Italian phrase, "Mi dispiacci, ma non va bene."

"I'm sorry. I don't like it."

Luca got a good laugh out of that and informed me that grappa is "only for men." Or something along those lines!

It was a two-hour meal that will be one of my fondest memories of Italy for the rest of my life.
I think Luca enjoyed it, also!


3 comments:

  1. How wonderful!! Too bad I can't taste samples through the computer. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Steph and want to have samples! Enjoying reading it all :)

    ReplyDelete