Yep...I get to live here

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

One day in Florence

After a wonderful day in Pisa with our home school friend Tracy, we took the train to Florence. Italian trains are convenient and comfortable. Unlike Roman buses, which I'll discuss later.

Our accommodations in Firenze (Florence) were at Relais Cavalcanti. It's nestled among various restaurants, shops, and outdoor markets. The lovely owners, Anna and Francesca, were the most gracious hosts, available to help in any they could .

Relais Cavalcanti is located on the fourth floor of an old historic building built in the 13th century It was owned by the noble Cavalcanti family, whose name the esablishment adopted.



Since the 13th century did not use elevators, modern builders did their best to cram one into the building, which means that it is diminutive. First there was a door which one opened with a key, revealing the elevator gate. The three of us barely fit inside. The picture at right is not a display of affection between my husband and son....that's just how close we had to stand to fit!

Luggage had to be lugged up the stairs. I guess that's why it is called luggage! At least this task only had to be performed once!

The proprietors, Anna and Francesa, are two of the friendliest woman you'd ever want to meet. They bent over backwards to help us with tours, restaurants, directions, transportation. They claim not to serve breakfast, whichI suppose is technically true; however, their breakfast room is always laid out with Italian delights. My favorite was palmine, a flaky glazed pastry that quickly became my breakfast each day.

Our room was spacious and had a view of the side street on which Relais Cavalcanti resides.

There is a lot to see in Florence, but just wandering around and absorbing Italian culture is a highlight not to be missed. It is easy to get around. In fact, I recommend walking - you'll need to after you experience Italian cuisine! I'll focus on that in a later post.

A gem of Florence is the Uffizi Gallery, built in 1581 to house the offices of the powerful Medici family. Over time, it evolved into a display for the many works of arts collected by the Medici. One of the more famous works is The Birth of Venus by Sandro Botticelli.

But the highlight for us was The David. The original is housed at Galleria dell'Accadamia...don't settle for the copy! But beware of the scam artists (pun intended) who display their reproductions on the sidewalk in front of the Accademia - literally on the sidewalk like a throw rug. Tourists are intent on getting in the door and don't pay attention to where their feet are being placed.

Yes, I am talking about myself.

After placing said feet on reproductions just waiting for an oblivious tourist, Italian men surrounded me. I can only assume they wanted me to pay for damages done. I muttered an apology and proceeded to the gallery entrance. Kevin, the conscientious person that he is, stayed behind. I asked a security guard inside if I should pay and he emphatically (as only an Italian can do) declared, "No! No pay!"

I went back outside to find Kevin with a print rolled under his arm and called to him, "Don't! Do not pay them!" He handed the print back to the vendor and followed us in, leaving behind one disgusted Italian scam artist.

Don't get me wrong, We absolutely fell in love with the Italian people; however, Italy has its share of scammers and thieves. Beware!

One could spend hours wandering through either of these galleries, so don't waste your time standing in line to get in. Pay the nominal extra fee to obtain a reservation. Arrive early to ensure your entry.

More to come...

7 comments:

  1. LOL at 'lugg'age.

    I still can't believe that you didn't sneak a camera into the Uffizi for fellow SLers! LOL


    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Theresa! So glad that you are back. We are planning another trip to Italy in June - this time we will be taking the kids. So you recommend the place you stayed in Florence? We didn't go to Florence the last time we were in Italy and I'm looking forward to it this time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Karen! How wonderful!

    Yes, I highly recommend Relais Cavalcanti. Housekeeping was terrific....the light breakfast was all we needed...the two ladies were so nice! They take turns running it a week at a time. Anna was there most of our visit. She's the dark-haired one pictured on their web site.
    We felt that their prices were very reasonable. They are central to a lot of sights. It's about a 7-10 minute walk to the Uffizi.
    We absolutely loved Florence. I have a great restaurant recommendation, too. I'll be posting on that experience soon.
    PM me your email address at SL and I'll send you some links.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steph, I am such a rule keeper! I bought post cards of my favorite works.

    ReplyDelete
  5. T - I'm sure it's ignorance on my part, but I don't understand what you were saying about where your feet were while waiting and Kevin about to pay for something...? Can you elaborate a bit more, please? (You can email me if you want to!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scam artists had reproduction prints lining the sidewalk, actually lying on the pavement like a throw rug. If you didn't watch where you were stepping, it was quite easy to not notice them and step all over them. After I walked across them, they demanded that we pay for it. Kevin was about to pay when I stopped him.
    That better?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Betsy, I edited my post to make it clearer.

    ReplyDelete