Yep...I get to live here

Monday, November 1, 2010

365-29 "Let's Face It!"

"Let's Face It!"
a little ditty I wrote

"Let's Face It!"
written by me.

I happened upon this tree
and introduced myself.
I asked the tree who carved his face
and if it was an elf.

He did not reply to me
but motioned with a sway,
which I understood to mean
he did not want to say.

His countenance was friendly
so imagine my surprise
when he pursed his lips and started
to speak and sermonize.

He talked about his long life
and how he had been treated,
Of all the things he had missed
and how he had been cheated.

"How could this be?" I asked
and hoped for a reply,
But he had ceased to speak
and had begun to cry.

This tree was in the middle
of a vast and lonely field
Where no one could provide him
with any kind of shield.

He was open to the weather -
wind and ice and snow,
and all the other things that bring
a tree like him such woe.

I explained to him all the things
that I appreciate
about all the trees like him
that the Lord God did create.

"You provide men shelter
and beauty and some shade
Not to mention syrup
and other things tree-made."

The tree began to smile
and I was quite relieved
that he truly did like me
and really did believe.

"Let's face it," I continued,
"You are something to behold,
and I am very certain
you'll live to be quite old."

His branches began to quiver
as he began to laugh,
Then I promised him that I would speak
to all on his behalf.

So, dear reader, stop and think
of all trees do for you,
Let's face it - we cannot live
without them, it is true!

5 comments:

  1. Wow, very well written, Theresa. the beauty to stop life and truly appreciate nature and it's Creator, just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet shot - but love what you wrote!

    ReplyDelete