Yep...I get to live here

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Dana the Dalmatian

This is one of my family memories that I wish I could forget...



It's breaking my heart to watch my dog Dana in pain. She's got a leg that's wired together from being run over. By me. Now, this happened ten years ago, but I still feel bad about it.

About three weeks ago she started losing strength in her leg. I took her to the vet and they did x-rays. They determined that two of the wires have broken and are poking into her muscle. They put her on an anti-imflammatory and pain medicine. She's been on those almost two weeks.

She seems to do better, and then something happens to re-injure it...the other dog knocks her over, she falls going up or down the two steps to the bedrooms, etc. When she falls, it's a real struggle to get back up.

Surgery is a last resort because it would be very complicated and would cause her a lot of pain.

The dog lovers who are reading this know how I feel. Please pray that the Lord would heal her!

Be careful what you say.

This dog is really very smart.
Except for the day I ran her over. She kept trying to follow the van. I kept sending her back to the front door, where dd was trying to get her in the house. I was late getting ds to swim lessons. This happened three or four times. Then, in my frustration, I said, "Oh! I'll just HIT HER!!!"

And then I did. Not on purpose, of course. She followed us off the property and up the hill. I tried to outrun her. I couldn't see where she was. And then it happened. She ran back to the house and I figured she was okay. Then dd called me and told me to come home.

I.feel.so.guilty.

8 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you're going through this with your doggy. (((Theresa))) Praying for wisdom and for comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our pets can really become true valued family members, can't they? I am so sorry.
    Tara B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Theresa. I'm so sorry that your dog is hurting. Gotta let go of that guilt, girl. Praying for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear that breaks my heart!! I hope she feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Dana is very spotted! We had a girl Dal years ago who had one blue eye. She was a sweetheart.

    Hope your dog gets feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you ever submit that photo for the catalog? It's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah - No, I didn't. I guess I should have.

    ReplyDelete