Yep...I get to live here

Monday, January 26, 2009

Where's the bathroom? Or "City Goes Country"

An all-important question, huh?

Some of my favorite memories involve equines. With the exception of a year's stint in Kansas City, MO, I haven't lived in the city since 1995. Even when we lived in Tallahassee, FL, I would frequently escape to my friend's farm in Georgia. Holly ran a stable, complete with trail rides. I would often take my pre-teen daughter, Valerie, with me to go for a horseback ride in the country.

At one point, Valerie and I led a 4H club called "The Horseless Horse". It was intended for kids who did not own a horse themselves. These kids were all from Tallahassee, which is basically a small university and state government city of around 100,000. I called them my city slickers.

One summer ride, we took the group off my friend's property, down red clay roads lined with old farm houses and crops. We'd cut through the property of a prominent orthopedic surgeon, past his "B" shaped pond, and down more red clay roads.

Along one of these roads was a cotton field, edged with live oak trees. This isn't the actual field, but you get the idea...in case you're a city folk and have never seen one.

Now, we've been bouncing along the trail for over an hour by now. You know what that means!

I called the group to a halt, dismounted, and announced a bathroom break. Ashley, one of the city slickers, innocently asked, "Where's the bathroom? I don't see a bathroom!!" I pointed to two live oaks, one for girls and the other for boys. Imagine the dismay!

I ran a nice trail ride, don't you think? We even had toilet "paper".


A little tricky to use, but fairly effective!

4 comments:

  1. LOL! Yes and watch out for the seeds and those prickly parts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL!
    I'd be quite thankful you provided "paper"!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thoughtful indeed :) Not quite as acceptable in Hyde Park tho....

    ReplyDelete